Wednesday, May 4, 2011

If Not a Hunger Strike, then What?

As readers here already know, my sense of desperation for the plight of the chronically ill has escalated dramatically lately. Perhaps it was the World Health Organization report that says that chronic illness is the leading cause of death in the world, as well as in the United States. Perhaps it was the unprincipled loss of a life-and-death insurance appeal, or just the calls that come every day from people looking for the most basic services to maintain their lives. Perhaps it's all of those things and more.

I thought about a hunger strike to bring attention to the plight of the chronically ill until it became clear that I couldn't do that without harming myself. I'm still trying to come up with a plan -- something big enough to really make a difference in the lives of the chronically ill. Something that at least would make us visible.

My dear friend Susan Campbell has written about my quest to bring attention to chronic illness. She did a beautiful job, as I trusted she would, making me sound less crazy and more important than I am, and helping to get the word out. I'm very grateful.

Do you have ideas for what I can do to bring national attention to the plight of the chronically ill? I welcome your thoughts. Jennifer

1 comment:

  1. I know what its like to have something chronic and not be able to work. My Disability Insurance started up.

    ReplyDelete