Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Aetna Cuts Rates Due to Health Reform

For all of you who said health reform would only increase health insurance premiums, get this. Aetna is reducing its premiums, at least in part due to the minimum loss ratio requirements of the health reform law. Remember the minimum loss ratio, the percentage of premium dollars spent on health care as opposed to administrative and other costs? I believe I told you I thought this would be the first piece of health reform that would result in lower premiums, and here you go, even sooner than I thought it would happen.

I'm telling you. Hang in with this law. Let it play out and be fully implemented. It's going to make things better. Not everything, not perfection, but a start. Jennifer

2 comments:

  1. Is this only in CT, or across the country?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This particular article is about Connecticut but I read somewhere else that they're doing it elsewhere. Ultimately, at the end of the year, all insurers nationwide are going to have to give rebates to consumers who paid more than they should under the new minimum loss ratio rules. J

    ReplyDelete