Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Rest in Peace -- We'll Take it From Here

There are so many reasons to mourn the death of Edward M. Kennedy, one of the longest-serving and most effective Senators who ever served our country. The passage of the Americans with Disabilities Act is one whose presence is felt in my life every single day, as well as in the lives of millions of Americans with disabilities.

I needn't repeat the long obituaries, or catalogue his accomplishments. The press is doing a very good job of that.

No, I sit here in tears this morning because I know that the Lion's life's work was left undone -- and I know that it is up to us to see to it that the Edward M. Kennedy Health Care Reform Act is passed.

There's a lot of speculation about whether we can do it without him. I believe we must do it FOR him. He gave us the dream of a day when no person would be in pain because they were denied care, when no person would be too sick to be a good enough risk to insure. Despite his advantages, he somehow knew what it was like to be on the bottom of the heap, and he dedicated himself to raising up those who could not rise alone.

So today, in honor of Edward M. Kennedy, I re-commit myself to doing all I can to make his dream come true. After all, his whole life was about fulfilling our dreams. It seems the least we can do. Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment