Monday, April 13, 2009

Blogging, Self-Pity, and Other Stuff

I just read that Paul Krugman, the Nobel-prize winning NY Times columnist and Princeton economics professor, posts on his blog as often as 6 times a day. I can't even post six times a week! Unlike Krugman, I don't have that many important things to say!!!

Today, I'm having a bit of a pity party. It's Monday, so start there -- bummer. And I still have c-diff. I've been on antibiotics on and off (mostly on) since the root canal in February. I'm dragging my butt around. I can't swim for fear of needing a bathroom on an urgent basis. And let me say it again: it's frigging Monday.

I think it stinks that I wish my life away, living from week-end to week-end because I'm so exhausted from dragging myself around. I do a little better when I swim every day, but right now, that's out of the question. I just have no energy. But I hate that I live from Monday to Friday every week wishing the week would just end. I truly believe that the only way to real contentment in life is to appreciate every moment as it comes. But how do you appreciate moments when you feel so sick? It's times when living in the "now" is most difficult when it's also most important.

I went for a blood draw this morning and the tech said "when was the last time you drank anything?" Well, first of all, I had to fast for the test (DUH), but second of all, I have c-diff, so of course I'm dehydrated -- no surprise.

Just in case you think I'm a total downer today, I did make the Wall Street Journal.

Need a Real Sponsor here

Financial Prescription

If you have a chronic illness, the regular rules of estate planning may need some fine-tuning

As a legal advocate, Jennifer Jaff helps chronically ill people gain more control over their lives. So, when she was diagnosed with a serious stomach disease last August, she decided to take control, too -- and create a comprehensive estate plan.

She "wanted to get everything in order to make sure my wishes were carried out," says Ms. Jaff, an attorney and founder of Advocacy for Patients With Chronic Illness Inc.

Among other things, Ms. Jaff asked her brother to act as her health-care proxy. She was concerned that her father wouldn't follow her wishes to refuse a feeding tube when she is no longer able to take in nutrients on her own, she says. Her brother didn't agree with her decision but agreed to abide by it, she says.

-------------------------

The rest is pretty boring, legal stuff about all the steps you should take if you want to make sure you're covered for that inevitable day when you can't make your own decisions. My pro bono PR guru, Jamie Diaferia, decided he's a genius, getting his pro bono clients in the NY Times and Wall Street Journal without doing anything, but he forgets that everything I know about what to say to a reporter once I get him or her on othe phone I learned from him. So kudos, Jamie.

And that's my big excitement of the day. Or maybe I should hope that's my only excitement.

Anyway, unlike Paul Krugman, I don't have six brilliant things to say each day. I'm lucky if I have one genuinely new and worthwhile idea a week. But if and when I do, I promise, you'll be the first to know. In the meantime, I'm striving to not hate the "now." Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment