Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Atul Gawande on Hospice Care

Atul Gawande is one of the more brilliant physician/writers in the health field these days. So when he writes a new piece for the New Yorker, I typically take the time to read it carefully. I have never been disappointed.

His latest is as brilliant as I have come to think he always is. It's particularly poignant for me at this moment because I learned earlier this week that a little boy I know who has been battling cancer with great dignity and grace for several years is losing his battle.

I hope you will read it. It will enrich your life, even as it saddens. And hopefully, it will remind you that, if you haven't made your end of life decisions and informed your family of your wishes, you should. Nobody likes to think about dying, but nobody lives forever. If you want to have something to say about HOW you die, then you need to think about and communicate your wishes.

Thanks, Lybba, for the link. Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment