Thursday, September 17, 2009

A Hurt in my Heart

I grew up on folk music. It is so deeply ingrained in who I am; after all, the civil rights movement of the 1960's, which inspires much of my belief-system today, was punctuated by Pete Seeger singing We Shall Overcome! and Peter, Paul and Mary singing If I Had a Hammer.

And, of course, Puff.

Mary died yesterday. Thankfully, I saw them a couple of years ago at her first show after undergoing treatment for leukemia. Her long hair was short, just coming back from being lost to chemo. She sounded as wonderful as ever, and the three of them were so happy to be together.

There's been a lot of loss lately, it seems. I cried for days over the loss of Ted Kennedy, and now I cry again, as it sinks in that I have heard those three voices together for the last time.

Thank you, Mary, for making my spirit sing. Jennifer

For Peter and Paul's remembrances, and some wonderful photos, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment