Tuesday, February 24, 2009

What Kind of Neighbors?

At 8:15 this morning, I was meandering down Mountain Road in West Hartford about five minutes from my home on my way to a doctor's appointment. As I was curving around to the right, the car coming toward me appeared to be heading into me, so I swerved to the right to get out of its way. I hit the curb and flattened two of my tires.

I made a right turn onto the closest side street (Oxford Drive), where I called AAA and sat and waited an hour and one-half for the tow truck to arrive. At one point, a woman in a blue coat came and stood by my car with her dog on a long leash. She stared into my eyes for quite awhile. She made no effort to speak to me, did not ask me to roll down my window -- she just stared at me. Finally, I rolled down my window and asked if I could help her. She said she wanted to know what I was doing there, sitting in my car on her street. I pointed to my two flat tires. She laughed and walked away.

She did not ask if I needed help. She did not offer to let me use her phone or her bathroom. No cup of coffee for this neighbor. Just a laugh.

What kind of people are we, who treat our neighbors as if they were thieves? Jennifer

1 comment:

  1. She sounds mental. Not sure what's worse, intrusive neighbors or the type you mentioned.

    Sounds like a really bad day. Hope you take time out to take it easy--you know, someday she may need a lawyer or a neighbor lol.

    ReplyDelete